2 hot 4 church? Your questions - Answered
During our 2 hot 4 church? Series you submitted several questions you would like more information on. Please note that these are not exhaustive answers to each topic nor are the below scripture references the only scriptures found in the Bible in regards to answering these questions. This is an effort to answer your questions with truth and with brevity.
1. In light of last Sunday’s lesson on family planning are you saying we all have to be Duggarliscious and have nineteen children? No, first not every woman will be physically capable of having that many children and secondly it is God who gives children, God who creates life….not us. See Genesis 1, 29:31, 20:18, Psalm 139-13-14, Psalm 127:3-5
2. Are you saying that birth control and fertility drugs are wrong? No. Not all birth control and fertility drugs are wrong. What I am saying is that believing that we control life is wrong and putting faith and trust in anything other than Jesus is idolatry. Also, some forms of birth control can cause abortions by stopping a fertilized egg from implanting like the morning after pill and the copper and progestasert IUD.
3. Is abortion ever OK? No in the sense of abortion on demand, abortion out of convenience or abortion as a last means of birth control. We make arguments around definitions like – fetus/baby, tissue over a person but the Bible does not make this distinction. Luke 1:41, 1:44, 2:12, 2:16 all use the same Greek word for baby making no distinction between born and unborn. I will not say never as there are rare cases which might warrant such procedures but those are rare – 2004 over 1.2 million abortions performed, 95% were for birth control reasons! Less than 1% were due to the mother’s health and less than 3% due to rape
4. What is the Bible’s view of capital punishment. Yes – See Leviticus and Deuteronomy
5. Is tithing a requirement? Requirement for what? Salvation? No! As believers should we give to support the church God has called us to? Yes above and beyond the tithe. Malachi 3:6-10, Matthew, 10:8, 19:21 – everything we have is given to us freely by God and as His children we are to give freely to those in need
6. Can any of the defendants in the Newsome/Christiansome case go to heaven after committing such horrible acts? What if they become saved while they are in jail? Yes if they are born again. We often say “you must ask Jesus into your heart” but what does that mean? The Bible never uses that language. It does speak of repentance and faith – 2 Corinthians 7:10, 1 John 4:10 Jesus is our propitiation taking on all of God’s wrath at the cross in our place for our sins…all sins, meaning at the time of the cross Jesus became a murder, a thief, a liar, a blasphemer etc and paid the full penalty 1 Peter 3:18 that is why His grace is so amazing!
7. What does the Bible have to say about women preachers? Women are not to be preachers – The Bible clearly outlines the qualifications for pastors/overseers in 1 Timothy 3:2, Titus 1:6 also women are to never be in a teaching position over men 1 Timothy 2:11-12
8. Homosexuality, how do we love the sinner but hate the sin? 1. Remember that homosexuality is a sin, a sin that God hates and has given the death penalty to – Leviticus 20:13, 1 Corinthians 6:9 those who practice will not inherit God’s Kingdom, Romans 1:26-27 against the laws of nature. 2. Love them – pray for them, give them a Bible, invite them to church, small group, Bible Fellowship, share Jesus with them and how only He can save them and how only He alone can forgive them. If they claim to be a follower of Jesus you have to look at 1 Corinthians 5:9-13.
9. What constitutes a Godly sex life with your spouse? How often is normal? What’s OK and what isn’t? The Bible doesn’t give lists of acts that are and aren’t permissible within a marriage and it doesn’t speak to specific frequency. Why? Because of our tendency to take something beautiful, like sex which is a gift from God and to moralize it calling things good and bad and seeing it as a contract verses a loving act between a husband and wife. God’s original plan, Genesis 2:24, is that one man would be united with one woman for one lifetime becoming one flesh and making the Song of Solomon sing which contains some very explicit details. 1 Corinthians 7:1-5 does promote fostering a healthy sex life with your spouse. Yet we live in a culture where many have been sexually abused and used which makes intimacy difficult so you may need to seek counseling to deal with the past, past sins committed by you and committed against you. Also, it is sinful to use your partner as a means to an end – to satisfy your sexual addiction, to perform as a baby maker etc
10. If someone is raised in an Islamic controlled environment, and never has a chance to accept Christ, is that person condemned to hell? What if they live a moral life, they don’t steal, kill, covet, commit adultery, use God’s name in vain, etc. The just live a moral life, but not under Christian or Biblical rules, is that soul condemned? The question posed here really is…can religion save someone? If they follow the rules can they get into heaven? The answer is no. First, the Bible says that there is no one who is or does good – Romans 3:10-12 everyone sins, everyone deserves to be punished, to die, to be condemned. Yet God loves us John 3:16 and has provided one way for us to be forgiven and that is through Jesus. Romans 5:8, 1 Timothy 2:5, Jesus said He is the only way John 14:6 – Therefore the urgency of the great commission is upon us to share with family, friends, neighbors, co-workers, near and far for all who die without Christ die in their sins and will be condemned to hell for eternity. Romans 1:18-23 states that no one is without excuse.